miércoles, 4 de marzo de 2009

Interpersonal speaking the easy way

Hola amiguitos!
At LHS I use a very simple strategy for interpersonal speaking practice that is easy to set up and can be done on a daily basis. Students write in their "diarios" at the beginning of each class and respond to a series of prompts. Each day we try to give them a new prompt that will review the previous day's lesson or prepare them for the upcoming lesson. Once they have written the prompt I ask them to share what they wrote with their neighbor. I give them about 1 minute to share then I ask individual students what they wrote. By this time students have had a chance to practice what they are going to say and are therefore more confident when speaking in front of class.
I also use this strategy to practice anything from tongue twisters to dialogue. It's like a mini think pair share that has become a regular feature of my class. I wish I had known about this one in my A placement.

El Profe

3 comentarios:

  1. Hi Dakota,

    Writing reflections in diaries is a great way to start class. The students in my middle school class do this every morning for the first 15 minutes of class. They have to do work on several subjects that are writtrn on the board. These include fixing a grammatical sentence, solving some math problems, and interpreting a famous quote. This is a great way to start the morning for this age group of kids. It is quiet in the room and it gives the teacher some time to do some mroning duties as well. I realize this is different at my school because it is a self contained classroom for most subjects.

    For Spanish class I like the idea because it also gets the students focused and then they can share their thoughts with their partner to check their work. It is nice too because it gives students the extra confidence they need in regards to what they need to say out loud.

    Good job!

    Katie Cook

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Did your cooperative teacher in your placement at LHS do the same opener or did you start it when you started teaching? I tried to do an opener similar to that one but it was unsuccessful. My cooperative teacher uses recording daily assignemnts as their opener. I found using an exit slip as a closer to be more effective. I would still like to make the opener more productive by having students answer prompts when they first arrive. It would allow more time for me to take role as well as assess how much the students remember from the prior lesson. I'm just not sure how to start something new - how to sell the kids on it so they will participate.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Hi Dakota,
    I really like that you let your students practice with other students before they have to present their diaries in front of the class. Learning english and french in school I didn't like to talk in front of the whole class but having time to practice it before and having previous feedback from my classmates made me more comfortable presenting something in front of the class.

    ResponderBorrar