miércoles, 25 de febrero de 2009

Strategy for teaching songs

Hola amigos!
I really like teaching songs in my classes. One of my favorite strategies is to do a cloze activity with the lyrics of the song.
I start by introducing the artist, then giving students a copy of the song's lyrics with words missing in every line.
Students have to listen to the song and fill in the missing words which usually takes three to four listens.
To make sure every student has the correct lyrics I project a copy of the their lyric sheet onto the board with the video projector. Then students can come up and write the missing lyrics on the board in the blank spaces.
Then we sing the song and pay special attention to the chorus.
Disfrutalo!

El Profe

3 comentarios:

  1. I like this strategy also Dakota, but I have been thinking of how to do more with the song than just filling in the blanks. I like the idea from Regina, the students write down the words they understand and know. I also thought that it would be fun for the students to make a music video or just a skit that goes along with the song. O sea, the skit has to correlate with the song. This demonstrates that they understood the song.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. El Profe-

    I would have liked your language classes, all my other language teachers were slave drivers and made learning another language seem like a chore rather than a life lesson. Sounds like you have the balance of learning and having fun, better than most teachers anyways. I need to try to figure out some cool songs that we can sing in math class, funny. Seriously though, I want to find some math activities that will help students keep interest in the subject, like you have done with language.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. The kids miss the songs and send you hellos. Am especially still hearing Oye mi amor....a lot! Must admit, I am glad that it is not Za Za Za that I am hearing!

    ResponderBorrar